April 22, 2017 USL Toronto FC II--Ottawa Fury FC vs Toronto FC II Match Recap (from OttawaFuryFC.com)

Match Recap: Fury FC -v- Toronto FC II

By OttawaFuryFC.com, 04/22/17, 5:15PM EDT 

Fury FC dominant, but held to a draw in Home Opener

 It was a cloudy and chilly start to the early afternoon at TD Place, however, after a six-month 
 hiatus, the Fury faithful began trickling into the stadium and filling the stands, the excitement 
 of another season of soccer in the nation's capital began to permeate all corners of the stadium.

As kick-off loomed, the supporters were booming, the crowd was excited, and the players were jumping, 
raring to go – the clouds parted and the sun made its presence just in time for the 2017 Fury FC home 
opener in front of a 6502 crowd.

The energy of the home crowd infected the players as Fury came out with a very high tempo early-on 
in the match. Just six minutes into the game, Fury FC earned their first corner, which lead 
to an ambitious, yet honourable bicycle-kick attempt by Dos Santos which unfortunately did not connect, 
and Toronto FC II cleared quickly.

This would be the first of three crosses earned by Fury FC in the first half. Fury FC went on to earn 
two shots on target - Toronto FC II gave Irving little to do, registering no shots on net. 
Toronto FC II held their own, and possession eventually evened out to 50% for each side. Fury FC 
finished off the half with three shots on net and three corners.

Both teams returned to the pitch without any changes to begin the second half.

While the sun began to hide retreat behind the clouds, the enthusiasm and energy of the crowd 
continued to fuel the players on the pitch. Fury FC came out arguably even hungrier in the beginning 
of the second half, forcing two corners within the first three minutes of the half, both unable 
to produce quality scoring chances.

Fury FC continued to apply pressure, managing another three shots on net over the next. Things got 
interesting in the 81st minute when a penalty call was awarded to Fury FC. Tucker Hume, who had 
an immediate impact following his substitution just seconds before, was taken down in the box 
by midfielder Brian James, who appeared to touch the ball first.

Gerardo Bruna lined up to take the penalty kick, Toronto FC II captain Mitchell Taintor went down 
hard on the edge of the 18th. After the dust settled, Andrae Campbell’s marching orders were 
handed to him, as the referee gave him a perhaps deserving red card. Things got worse for Fury FC 
as the former Liverpool and Real Madrid product caught Cavalluzzo diving the other way, and cannoned 
a solid left-footed strike off the left post.

The sequence of events left Fury FC worse for wear as a zero was still up on the scoreboard, 
and were now down to 10-men. The penalty was symbolic of the Fury’s inability to convert 
on the plethora of scoring opportunities this afternoon. Despite being down a man, the players 
continued to dig deep, appearing the aggressor even in the latest stages of the game.

Coach Paul Dalgish’s cries for more pressure up-field in additional time lead to one final corner 
in the 90+4 minute. Unfortunately, a Williams corner sailed over the heads of all players, leading 
to the referee blowing the final whistle. 

Fury FC will hit the road again next weekend with a fixture against the Charleston Battery 
scheduled for next Saturday, April 29th, before returning to TD Place on May 3 to host FC Edmonton 
in the Canadian Championship.

 Fury FC single-game tickets and Season tickets for the 2017 USL season are available 
 at OttawaFuryFC.com, by calling 613.232.6767 X1 or in person at The Box Office at TD Place. 

Post-game comments
Fury FC GM and Head Coach, Paul Dalglish:
 "It feels like a loss right now because the players worked really hard, defended really 
 really well, we had enough chances to win the game, but it wasn’t to be. We need to put this 
 one behind us and take the positives from it and get focused on winning this game next week 
 against Charleston. Even when we had 10 men, we were the aggressor and looked as though 
 we could score then as well”

Fury FC Captain, Lance Rozeboom:
 "We played well today, we had chances and obviously the penalty at the end. It was frustrating, 
 you obviously want to come out and win that first home game. The performance was good - second 
 shutout in a row, you have to take the positives from it.”

Fury FC midfielder, Gerardo Bruna:
“The only thing you can say is that I should have scored and we should have won that game 
because the team deserved it.”

“There were a lot of things going on with the sending off, but I knew when I was taking 
the penalty, where I was going to put it but I don’t know, I cant explain what happened… 
I should have scored”

Match Report:
Starting XI

Ottawa Fury FC(3-4-3): 
Irving; Obasi (Meilleur-Giguère 90+2'), Del Campo, McEleney; 
Campbell, Rozeboom, Dixon, Edward (Hume 81'); 
Sito (Bruna 73’), Dos Santos, Williams

Toronto FC II (3-5-2): 
Peters (Onkony 79’), Taintor, Aubrey; 
James, Osorio, Uccello, Alseth, Camargo (McCrary 63’); 
Spencer (John 63’), Hamilton

2017 Record
Fury FC:
 1W-1D-2L, 4 pts, 11th place (Eastern Conference)

Toronto FC II:
 1W-2D-2L, 5 pts, 10th place (Eastern Conference)

Scoring Summary:
Caution Summary:
 17’ TOR - Peters
 74’ TOR - McCrary
 81’ TOR - Aubrey

Ejection Summary:
 81' OTT - Campbell


Next Match:
 April 29 @ Charleston Battery - 7 p.m. - MUSC Health Stadium

Next Home Match:
 May 3 vs FC Edmonton - 7 p.m. - TD Place *Canadian Championship

back to TFC II 2017 menu