September 17, 2015 League 1 Ontario--Windsor Stars vs Toronto FC Academy (from League 1 Ontario press release)

Windsor Stars 0 - Toronto FC Academy 6
. Fri Sep 18 
Written By: Shalapata, Ian  

There was an anticipation preceding last night's match between Windsor and Toronto FC Academy. Their previous 
meeting on June 4 was a 5-2 victory for the Stars, in L1 Cup play, and they needed a win to reverse their 
recent poor results.

The best laid plans were cast asunder as the Reds easily doused the Stars 6-0 in front of a scattered crowd 
at McHugh Soccer Complex.

Toronto set the tone in the first minute by keeping the Windsor side away from touches and moving the ball quickly. 
For the next five minutes both clubs pushed the ball deep, but came away empty.

The Reds struck first at the 15 minute mark with a close goal from Richie Ennin. They followed that up with 
a second only two minutes later, this time Cyrus Rollocks finding the back of the net.

Rollocks then made it 3-nil when he made a mad dash into the Windsor zone, untouched by the defenders. It quickly 
appeared that it would be a long evening for the Windsor supporters.

The Stars seemed to pick up the pace and started to put together some teamwork. Their attempts on goal resulted 
in either the TFC keeper gathering the ball, or the shots missing the target.

At 41 minutes Martin Nyul found himself inside the six yard box, after being put in the clear by Stephen Ademolu, 
but managed to put the ball over the crossbar.

At half time the score was still 3-0 in Toronto's favour.

The second half started much like the first and is wasn't long before Andrew Dias struck for the Reds' 
fourth tally.

Toronto continued to apply the pressure with Windsor responding by simply kicking the ball out of danger without 
garnering much headway. The Reds would regroup and push back into the box. Martin Davis notched the fifth goal 
as the defence broke down yet again.

Any time a Star touched the ball, there was ample opportunity for two Toronto players to force the play. 
Windsor was kept off-balance by the quick Reds, and not allowed to set up their style.

The Stars did manage to gain control for an extended period late in the half, but Toronto dropped the full 
squad behind centre and took away the open room. The tactic worked as the Stars were stymied in their attempt 
to get into scoring position.

The Reds were able to push back one last time when centre-back Nikola Stakic broke free for the final goal 
in the 85th minute. A Toronto corner kick ended up inside the six where Stakic softly lobbed the ball over 
Shane Beaton, just under the crossbar.

After 90 minutes both side retired to the dressing rooms to consider their next matches.

"There was no enthusiasm, no heart, no passion," said Windsor head coach Shane Topalovic after the game.

"We lacked every motivating thing we needed to play our best tonight. There's no excuse to be on the 
field and not show up. That's embarrassing."

Toronto will return to the KIA Training Ground to meet ANB Futbol on Sunday September 20 at 1:45 pm.

For their part, Windsor will head out on the road to face Masters FA at L'Amoreaux Park 
on Saturday September 19 at 9:00 pm. Their next home match will be September 25 when they host Durham United 
- 8:00 p.m. kickoff.

back to 2015 League 1 Ontario Men's index