June 24, 2015 League 1 Ontario Cup--Windsor Stars vs Toronto FC Academy (from League 1 Ontario press release)

Windsor Stars 5 - Toronto FC Academy 2
. Thu Jun 25 
Written By: Shalapata, Ian  

The Windsor Stars put a halt to their two-game skid and solidified their chances in the men's L1 Cup with 
a 5-2 home win over the Toronto FC Academy side at McHugh Soccer Complex. The score belied the closeness 
of the competition as the away team were eager to show their worth.

Almost from the opening whistle, Windsor took the play to the young Toronto. Mike Pio had two good chances 
in close, but TFC keeper Brogan Engbers kept his team in the game. Pio's chances were followed by a cross, 
a free kick from the eighteen, a blocked shot, and a strike that Engbers deflected over the cross bar.

Finally, Windsor's efforts were rewarded when Noah Pio sent a right-footed shot to the back of the net 
to lift the Stars up by one. Toronto countered with a foray into the Windsor zone, but a free kick was 
headed away by the Stars' defence and captain Stephen Ademolu quickly made it 2-nil for Windsor.

Toronto challenged again, earning a corner kick, but Kyle Vizirakis pulled the ball down and transitioned 
Windsor up field where Noah Pio would strike for his second of the evening. With the match barely twenty 
minutes old, the Stars were dominating play and enjoying a 3-nil lead.

Vizirakis was again forced to make two more stops on Toronto crosses and each time the clearance resulted 
in a long run into the TFC half. Engbers was called upon to punch away attempts on goal before 
Brett Holmberg put Windsor ahead 4-nil with his seventh goal of the season.

Windsor's defence broke down allowing Leonard Sohn a chance at Vizirakis, and then Kevin Timachy got Toronto 
on the score sheet just before half time.

Stars' head coach Shane Topalovic substituted Shane Beaton for Vizirakis to start the second half, finding 
some game action experience for the young keeper.

Windsor began the half with renewed vigour and taking the play to TFC. Stefan Milidrag sent the ball wide 
and then the Pio brothers combined to force Engbers into making a splendid save.

The turning point in the game occurred after the Stars turned away a TFC corner kick, but the visitors 
defended the Windsor attack well. A long strike resulted in Beaton diving to his left and then another 
ball into the box was gathered in by Beaton. Moments later, a third attempt by Toronto went wide, but 
the academy could feel the change in momentum.

TFC began to pressure the Windsor ball carriers and not allowing them the time to set up. Coupled with 
some poor ball handling, and the Stars were increasingly moved off the ball by Toronto.

Reshon Phillip sent a long ball into the Windsor box and Beaton was equal to the task, but then 
Cyrus Rollocks found the target in the 72nd minute to pull Toronto within two of the Stars. For the 
next sixteen minutes Toronto continued to throw everything they could at Beaton, who refused to give 
in to the pressure.

However, in their desire to go forward, Toronto left open a weakness in the back field and Windsor 
took advantage when Mike Pio struck from twelve yards out to put the match out of reach.

After three minutes of stoppage time was added, Windsor had the win and three points in L1 Cup 
Group D play.

"I was definitely expecting [TFC] to play hard, fast, everything that they did," said Topalovic. 
"I thought we handled it pretty good. We had to play through a couple of injuries, but I thought 
we maintained pretty well." 

While pleased with Windsor's showing, Topalovic was impressed that Toronto refused to roll over 
despite being down by three at the half.

"They just came out hungry. They wouldn't quit and they kept hustling and they were hungry 
for it," he explained.

"The physical size difference was a major concern and we appeared afraid early on," said 
Toronto FC Academy head coach, Stuart Neely. "We began to play football and the match changed 
dramatically but it was a big uphill battle at that point."

One move that was met with some raised eyebrows was starting youngster Noah Pio, but Topalovic 
was confident in making the decision.

"I'm not surprised at his play tonight. It was a great opportunity for him and he delivered. 
Just one goal he didn't have a hand in tonight," Topalovic said. "Everything about that kid 
tonight was outstanding. I don't have a bad word to say about him."

Windsor keeper Kyle Vizirakis was just as enthused about the play of back-up Shane Beaton.

"Shane works his butt off in practice and this was a good game for him to gain some experience 
at this level," said Vizirakis.

Windsor will now return to league play with an away game against the same TFCA side on Sunday 
June 28th at the Kia Training Ground, 2:45 p.m. After eight games, the Stars have 10 points 
and 7th spot on the league ladder, just a single point ahead of TFC Academy.

"They're going to be a little tougher," Vizirakis said. "They're a very tactical team, 
technically sound, but I think we'll still take the three points up there."

"We'll be looking to set an early tempo and belief regardles of physical differences," 
said Neely, "and finding ways to play football quicker in key areas." 

The win gives Windsor four points in L1 Cup play and clinches their advancement to the 
quarter-final round. 

back to 2015 League 1 Ontario Men's index