October 25, 2007 Toronto Lynx Juniors Program named to Super-Y League's "First 11" (from Lynx media release)
TORONTO LYNX MEDIA RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
TORONTO LYNX JUNIORS PROGRAM NAMED TO SUPER-Y LEAGUE’S “FIRST 11”
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2007 (TORONTO, ON) The Toronto Lynx Juniors Super-Y League program was recognized today by the United Soccer Leagues as members of the “First 11” Super-Y League organizations in North America. The Lynx ranked 9th overall of 66 qualifying clubs who met the Super-Y League standards of fielding six teams and playing at least 60 Super-Y League matches in 2007 in both the girls and the boys divisions. One-hundred and seven clubs fielded at least one team in the Super-Y League teams in 2007. In the Boys division alone, the Toronto Lynx Junior Boys ranked an impressive 8th of 79 squads, while the Toronto Lady Lynx Junior Girls did not qualify for the individual girls rankings as they only fielded two teams during the past season.
The Lynx’ high ranking comes on the heels of a highly-successful season which saw the U20 Boys bow out on penalties in the semi-finals of the U20 North American Finals. The U17 Boys squad also qualified for the North American Finals, which are to be held in Tampa, Florida in three weeks.
Academy Director Duncan Wilde is extremely pleased with the honour, saying “This is a tremendous collective achievement by everyone involved with the Toronto Lynx. This has been our strongest ever year as a member of the United Soccer Leagues and our ranking clearly shows that we have built our club into one of the top player development programs in North America. Hopefully our U17 Boys can cap off a great season by claiming our first North American Super-Y League Championship next month in Florida"
The Super Y-League launched a new club ranking system in 2005 with the top clubs ranked from 1-22 and separated into the First and Second 11. With the extensive growth of the second-year USL Super-20 League, the 2007 rankings also include a club’s performance in the new league. This system publicizes the top 22 clubs in both the boys and girls categories as well as overall. The rankings are based primarily upon the on-field results - winning percentage accounting for 70 percent of the score. Minimum standards and operations complete the other 30 percent.
“The criteria used to rank these clubs is basic yet essential to the Super Y-League’s philosophy of providing a professionalized atmosphere for the top youth players in North America,” said USL Super Y-League and Super -20 League Director of Operations Melanie Fitzgerald. “United Soccer Leagues wanted a way to salute those clubs who consistently succeed not only on the field but off the field as well.”
21 LYNX PLAYERS SELECTED TO ODP PROGRAM
The Toronto Lynx also announced today that 21 players from the Junior Lynx program have been selected by the United Soccer Leagues to participate in the Super Y-League’s Olympic Development Program (ODP) National Camps to be held at the Cocoa Expo Center in Cocoa, Florida in January and February of 2008. Selections from the 2007 season were made from the identification system by the Super Y-League National ODP Scouting Staff. The selection process was then finalized by the ODP Staff Coaches, and assembled by the USL office. Eight Junior Lynx boys and 13 Junior Lady Lynx girls were selected to represent the Lynx at this prestigious event, held annually.
“The SYL ODP National Camps provide opportunities for elite players to be identified by some of the top college and university programs in the country.” said USL ODP Coordinator, Sean Trask.
The Toronto Lynx Juniors players selected are as follows: Julian Ramjohn 1989 Boys Matthew Rios 1989 Boys Andy Heighington 1990 Boys Daena Moulton 1990 Boys Nicolas Harster 1991 Boys Cameron Eisses 1992 Boys Patrick Kovacs 1992 Boys Blake Jones 1993 Boys Justine McCabe 1990 Girls Supreecha Chaloemjarn 1991 Girls Sarah Dobush 1991 Girls Jaime McDougall 1991 Girls Alyshia Procter 1991 Girls Lindsay Smith 1991 Girls Nora Abolins 1992 Girls Christina Bilczuk 1992 Girls Ainslie Brodie 1992 Girls Jess Bryant 1992 Girls Adrienne Lade 1992 Girls Annie Armstrong 1993 Girls Amy Collins 1993 Girls
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
TORONTO LYNX SOCCER CLUB HEAD COACH
PREMIER SOCCER ACADEMY DIRECTOR
back to soccer menu