November 28, 2006 Sutton leaves Impact for MLS (from Canadian Press)
Sutton leaves Impact for MLS
Toronto FC eyes 'keeper
MONTREAL (CP) - Canadian international goalkeeper Greg Sutton is leaving the Montreal Impact for Major League Soccer, with Toronto his likely destination.
Toronto FC expects to announce a new player signing later this week, a club spokesman said Tuesday, adding coach Mo Johnston would not be commenting before then.
Sutton, 29, had two more years left on a three-year contract with the Impact but Montreal let him go after striking a deal with MLS.
Montreal Impact president Joe Saputo said the Los Angeles Galaxy and Columbus Crew showed interest in Sutton this season. But Toronto has the edge with the league looking to stock the expansion franchise with Canadian talent.
Toronto FC has 11 players at present, none of them a goalie. The club kicks off next spring.
"It's part of the soccer business that you sell or transfer players," Saputo said in an interview. "It's part of the game. We walked away with what we felt was the amount that reflected Greg's value within the club . . . it worked out well."
Sutton was goalkeeper of the year for the fourth straight season this year in the United Soccer Leagues First Division, despite missing time with a broken finger. His record was 6-4-4 with a goals-against average of 0.5 and nine shutouts.
Sutton allowed just seven goals in 1,260 minutes.
The Impact have already lost defender Adam Braz to Toronto FC. Andrew Weber will likely enter camp as the favourite to take over from Sutton with the Impact.
"He proved to us last year when Greg got hurt that's he's capable of being a first-class goalie," Saputo said.
back to Toronto FC menu